Malaysia court frees woman in North Korea murder case

Malaysia court frees woman in North Korea murder case

Malaysia court frees woman in North Korea murder case

Aisyah hugged her co-defendant, Doan Thi Huong of Vietnam, before leaving the courtroom.

Siti Aisyah was accused of smearing VX nerve agent on the face of Kim Jong Nam at an airport terminal in Kuala Lumpur in February 2017.

According to The Star, one of the murder suspects, Indonesian citizen Siti Aisyah, 27, has been freed from custody today (11th March) after a judge discharged her with no acquittal at the Shah Alam High Court.

This article, Indonesian woman at the center of Kim Jong-nam assassination has case dropped, originally appeared on Coconuts, Asia's leading alternative media company.

Aisyah had been working as a masseuse in Kuala Lumpur, while Doan described herself as an entertainer.

"What was purely found was merely traces of degrading products of VX and that alone is very circumstantial, and the fact that the clothes that were found did not have the DNA of Siti Aisyah", he said.

Indonesia's ambassador to Malaysia, who was in court with Aisyah, thanked the judge and the Malaysian government, but declined to answer questions about what is next for her.

They claimed that they were tricked into believing they were taking part in a prank for a reality television show.

Prosecutor Iskandar Ahmad said Aisyah can be charged again if there is fresh evidence, but there are no such plans now.

Kim Jong Nam was the eldest son of North Korea's ruling family.

She was then brought to a press conference with Indonesia's Law and Human Rights Minister Yasonna Laoly in Jakarta.

Defence lawyer Hisyam Teh Poh Teik said she "was traumatized by the unfair decision" not to drop charges in her case, and her legal team had made a decision to stop the testimony.

It was a surprise move as the Shah Alam High Court, outside Kuala Lumpur, had been due only to hear Vietnamese accused Doan Thi Huong testify on Monday.

After Aisyah was freed, the murder trial of the other woman in custody was put on hold.

Aisyah was quickly ushered out of the court building in an embassy auto.

Aisyah, surrounded by government officials and a mob of reporters at Jakarta's arport, struggled for words as journalists shouted questions.

During the trial, the court was shown CCTV footage of two women allegedly assaulting Kim Jong Nam while he prepared to check in for a flight.

An Indonesian woman accused in the 2017 killing of the North Korean leader's half-brother was freed on Monday, as a Malaysian court dropped the murder charge against her in a case that drew suspicions of being a political assassination.

Huong grew up in Nghia Binh, Vietnam, not far from Hanoi, and is thought to have been recruited by North Korean agents while working at a bar in the Vietnamese capital.

Siti Aisyah smiles as she leaves the Shah Alam Court, on March 11, 2019. Authorities believe that Kim Jong Un had his half-brother assassinated as part of an effort to consolidate his power after he became the ruler of North Korea.

Huong's lawyer, Hisyam Teh Poh Teik, said Huong felt Aisyah's discharge was unfair to her because the judge a year ago had found sufficient evidence to continue the murder trial against them.

But their lawyers argued the four North Koreans were the masterminds, and provided the women with poison on the day of the murder before fleeing.

Related news