Venezuela’s Guaido Blasts Government Aid Blockade

Venezuela’s Guaido Blasts Government Aid Blockade

Venezuela’s Guaido Blasts Government Aid Blockade

Thousands of people demonstrated in the streets across the country on Tuesday, demanding that Maduro allowed aid into Venezuela.

Protesters also demanded the military allow blocked humanitarian aid into the country.

"There are people responsible for this and the regime should know it", Guaido said after attending Sunday Mass.

Venezuela's opposition leader Juan Guaido said Monday that his team had delivered its first round of humanitarian aid amid objections from President Nicolas Maduro, Reuters reports.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Tuesday dismissed the move as an attempt to "cover up planned provocations.to destabilize the situation in Venezuela and even gain an excuse for direct military intervention".

Venezuela's self-proclaimed acting president, Juan Guaido, will ask for the support of OAS to restructure the country's electoral authorities and organise new elections in the Andean nation, his envoy has said.

Asked whether the Venezuelan military would allow the aid into the country, Lester Toledo, coordinator for worldwide humanitarian aid and an opposition state legislator, replied: "The soldiers know this is food that will go to the children". Colonel Paz, a doctor, urged soldiers to help the aid get into Venezuela.

Venezuela's economic crisis has left people from all walks of life struggling for food, basic living essentials and medicine. The US and Colombia sent an aid convoy to the Colombian border town of Cucuta last week, where it is being held in warehouses.

"It's sure that the humanitarian aid will enter Venezuela because the usurper will have no choice but to leave Venezuela", said Guaido, referring to Maduro, whom he deems illegitimate over his reelection previous year in a poll widely viewed as fraudulent.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called the Venezuelan government a "disastrous dictatorship", with National Security Advisor John Bolton adding Mr Maduro was holding an "illegitimate claim to power".

Speaking to AFP last week, Guaido refused to rule out eliciting foreign intervention.

The military exercises will last until February 15 and are set to become the most major and important drills that Caracas has held over its 200 year-old history, according to Maduro.

Venezuela's financial accountability authority announced a probe into Guaido's income, saying he had "allegedly. received money from worldwide and national bodies without any justification". We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World. "It's help for many Venezuelans like my son".

Guido's self-declaration was immediately recognized by the administration of US President Donald Trump, which also announced sanctions on Venezuela's oil industry to funnel income from the country's main oil exporter to Guaido.

Related news