California wildfire: At least 63 dead, 630 reported missing

California wildfire: At least 63 dead, 630 reported missing

California wildfire: At least 63 dead, 630 reported missing

According to the authorities, the wildfire has so far claimed the lives of at least 63 people statewide, with the number of people missing or unaccounted for having soared to 631.

Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea told reporters that crews found three bodies in Magalia, three in Paradise and one in Concow.

Many others found haven at an encampment that sprang up in the parking lot outside a still-open Walmart store in Paradise, where dozens of evacuees pitched tents or slept in their cars. Some 52,000 people have been displaced.

The fire is now 40 percent contained, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) reported.

As of Thursday, the number of victims of the Camp Fire in Northern California had risen to 63 - making it the deadliest single fire in the state's history.

Trump is supposed to pay a visit to those who've been affected by the flames, White House Deputy Press Secretary Lindsay Walters said. "Each trip I say 'this is the worst fire I have seen, ' and now we're here today, and I'll say 'this is the worst fire that I have seen'".

At least three other people have died in southern California in another blaze dubbed the Woolsey Fire, which engulfed parts of Malibu, destroying the homes of several celebrities.

Cal Fire said that 40 percent of the Camp Fire's perimeter had been contained, up from 35 percent, even as the blaze footprint grew 2,000 acres to 141,000 acres (57,000 hectares).

"The fact that we have thousands and thousands of people in shelters would clearly indicate that we were able to notify a significant number of people", the sheriff said.

The number of missing people from the Camp Fire has grown significantly in the last day.

"For over 35 years, I have witnessed many fires in my community and experienced the devastation of those fires up close and personal - but none as catastrophic as the events that have taken place in our community these past five days", he said.

Sheriff Honea said the list may contain people who do not know they are considered lost. 56 people are now confirmed dead and many more remain unaccounted for.

Authorities said it was unclear when residents would be allowed back into the town.

The announcements came as authorities continued to search the devastated town of Paradise for human remains. Less than an hour later, the entire town was ordered evacuated.

Related news