Saudi Prosecutor Refuses to tell Turkey Location of Khashoggi’s Body

Saudi Prosecutor Refuses to tell Turkey Location of Khashoggi’s Body

Saudi Prosecutor Refuses to tell Turkey Location of Khashoggi’s Body

The statement was the first public confirmation by a Turkish official that Khashoggi was strangled and mutilated after he entered the Saudi Consulate on October 2.

The announcement came as Saudi Arabia's chief prosecutor, Saud al-Mojeb, ended a three-day visit to Istanbul during which he held talks with Fidan and other Turkish officials.

A statement from chief Istanbul prosecutor Irfan Fidan's office added that Khashoggi's body was dismembered and disposed of.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday called on the Saudi prosecutor to say who sent the team to kill Khashoggi.

The board said that Congress should summon CIA Director Gina Haspel, who was in Turkey last week and briefed Trump, and other senior USA officials and determine what they know about the killing.

United States President Donald Trump has also come under enormous pressure for his support for Riyadh, which is a key cog to the US' interests in the Middle East.

When asked who was ultimately responsible for the killing, his fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, told Reuters in Turkish: "This took place inside a Saudi diplomatic mission".

"The Saudi officials seemed primarily interested in finding out what evidence the Turkish authorities had against the perpetrators", the official said.

The killing of Khashoggi has put into focus the West's close relationship with Saudi Arabia - a major arms buyer and lynchpin of Washington's regional plans to contain Iran.

However, on October 20, Saudi Arabia had admitted that critic Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside its consulate in Istanbul at the hands of Saudi officials.

The statement reiterated a request for the extradition of suspects arrested by Saudi Arabia in the case of the brutal murder. Turkish state news agency Anadolu reported that he had boarded a plane back to Saudi Arabia on Wednesday, having met with the Istanbul chief prosecutor twice.

But after weeks of Turkish officials continually leaking details suggesting a murder, Saudi Arabia's public prosecutor, Saud al-Mojeb, last week acknowledged the evidence suggested the killing was most likely premeditated.

Al Mojeb also reportedly did not reveal information about the local accomplice of the assassins, despite having publicly said that such a person was involved in the case.

Related news