Koreas prepare for summit as North asks U.S. to ease sanctions

Koreas prepare for summit as North asks U.S. to ease sanctions

Koreas prepare for summit as North asks U.S. to ease sanctions

"However, the USA responded to our expectation by inciting worldwide sanctions and pressure against the DPRK", it said in a statement carried by KCNA news agency. It also claims that "high-level officials within the USA administration are making baseline allegations against [North Korea] and making desperate attempts at intensifying the worldwide sanctions and pressure".

The United States was "attempting to invent a pretext for increased sanctions against the DPRK by mobilising all their servile mouthpieces and intelligence institutions to fabricate all kinds of falsehoods".

North Korea for its part denounced the United States for its "outdated acting script" in pressuring the North with continued sanctions, but said it was still prepared to meet its obligations after a historic North Korea-U.S. summit in Singapore in June.

The North noted that they returned remains of USA soldiers who fought in the Korean War to the US last week.

The White House and US State Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

But the North Korea statement separates Mr. Trump from "high-level officials", thus allowing the the country to rail against the USA, while leaving the door open for the president to continue his dialogue with leader Kim Jong Un.

North Korea's foreign ministry said on Thursday it had stopped testing missiles and conducting nuclear tests "followed by dismantling the nuclear test ground", and yet the United States still had insisted on "denuclearisation first". Those followed contentious remarks last week by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho on the sidelines of a regional summit in Singapore.

The delegation, including 84 young footballers, will travel by bus to Pyongyang for their 10-day visit, marking the first overland trip by South Korean civilians to the North's capital in almost seven years.

USA officials have declined to comment on a report on the Vox news website Wednesday saying that North Korea had repeatedly rejected a US proposal for it to cut its nuclear arsenal by 60 to 70 percent within six to eight months. The United States cancelled a joint war exercise with South Korea that was due to take place this month while dismissing calls to ease sanctions until the North delivers on its commitments to fully denuclearize.

The UN Security Council first imposed sanctions on North Korea after its first nuclear test in 2006.

"We're going to continue to apply maximum pressure to North Korea until they denuclearize, just as we are to Iran".

It wasn't clear who would attend next week's talks, but such meetings have typically been handled in the past by South Korea's unification minister and his counterpart in the North.

Trump's national security adviser, John Bolton, also said this week that North Korea has not taken the steps necessary to denuclearise.

Related news