Chelsea part ways with Conte

Chelsea part ways with Conte

Chelsea part ways with Conte

Maurizio Sarri says he wants to bring "entertaining football" to Chelsea after becoming their manager on a three-year deal.

Conte took training when some of the Chelsea squad returned for pre-season this week but has always been expected to be replaced this summer.

Assuming both deals get over the line, Jorginho and Sarri should be at Chelsea by this weekend at a total cost of around €65m to secure both signings.

Sarri, a former banker, said he would be starting his new job "and meeting the players" on Monday ahead of Chelsea's pre-season Australia tour.

Sarri guided Napoli to a second place finish in Serie A last season with an astonishing 91 points, narrowly missing out on the Scudetto to Juventus.

He is the 13th managerial appointment by Blues owner Roman Abramovich since his takeover of the club in 2003, including Jose Mourinho and Guus Hiddink on two occasions.

However, his second season in charge ended with a limp title defence as his side finished fifth in the Premier League, crucially missing out on Champions League qualification.

"We are talking about a lad for whom Manchester City represents the opportunity of a lifetime".

Jorginho is set to become the first signing of a summer in which the prolonged uncertainty over Chelsea's coaching position has had a paralysing effect on the club's transfer dealings, but more new faces are expected in the coming weeks. He had been waiting since winning the FA Cup in May to resolve his future at Stamford Bridge.

Conte produced a record 30 Premier League wins during his maiden season, which has since been thwarted by Manchester City's 32 victories last season, while he now boasts Chelsea's longest consecutive league wins with 13.

Related news