Chinese phone maker ZTE saved from brink after deal with US

Chinese phone maker ZTE saved from brink after deal with US

Chinese phone maker ZTE saved from brink after deal with US

"The preliminary deal includes a $1 billion fine against ZTE plus $400 million in escrow to cover any future violations, sources said, adding that the terms were in line with Reuters reporting on the usa demands on Friday". "The ZTE case was a thorn in the side for China ..." The government will suspend the 10-year ban but it can activate the ban if there are any violations.

ZTE has become a critical part of the broader discussions between China and the United States, the two largest economies in the world, over trade tensions and whether the two countries can prevent a trade war that could involve billions of dollars' worth of tariffs.

Under this new agreement, ZTE will retain compliance contractor in addition to the three-year court-appointed monitor imposed by the plea agreement. "The strictest and largest settlement fine that has ever been brought by the Commerce Department against any violator of export controls".

Neither the Commerce Department, the White House nor ZTE immediately responded to requests for comment. Their function will be to monitor on a real-time basis ZTE's compliance with USA export control laws.

Ross said the USA will install its "own compliance people" to monitor the company and shareholders will bring in new management and board.

The Commerce Department blocked ZTE's access to US suppliers in April, saying the company violated a 2017 sanctions settlement related to trading with Iran and North Korea and then lied about the violations.

The US government has agreed a deal with Chinese smartphone and telecommunications network equipment manufacturer ZTE that will allow it to continue to trade with American firms.

ZTE's return to the USA market is good news for several American companies.

The agreement signals that China will be likely to quickly approve the $43 billion acquisition of NXP by Qualcomm Inc, a deal that has been pending for 18 months. It was reported that last month T-Mobile was going to walk away from an agreement worth more than $1 billion to distribute ZTE smartphones, among other products, in the U.S.

ZTE, which sources up to 30 per cent of its components from the U.S., paused its operations as a result and claimed its survival was at risk.

"We executed a definitive agreement with ZTE", Ross told CNBC Thursday. "I hope it means something good to us, but we are really focused more on our individual application", Mollenkopf told a corporate governance conference in NY. "I hope that we can devote ourselves to hard work and innovation and get the company back into business as soon as possible". Qualcomm rose 2 per cent.

Related news