Israel hits dozens of Gaza targets after mortar barrage

Israel hits dozens of Gaza targets after mortar barrage

Israel hits dozens of Gaza targets after mortar barrage

The spokesman, Emmanuel Nahshon, said that the Israeli government was trying to reverse Indonesia's decision, the website reported.

"The IDF is prepared for a variety of scenarios and is determined to act against terror operatives.", the IDF said.

In technical terms, there is an ongoing ceasefire between Israel and Hamas as a result of Operation Protective Edge, which took place during the summer of 2014.

"An agreement was reached to return to the [2014] ceasefire understandings in the Gaza Strip", Hamas' deputy chief in Gaza, Khalil al-Hayya said. After a day and a half of shelling, Israelis returned to their routines and children went back to school following the heaviest rocket attacks since the end of the 2014 Gaza conflict.

Militants from Hamas, the dominant group in Gaza, and Islamic Jihad fired dozens of rockets and mortar bombs at Israel throughout Tuesday and overnight, to which Israel responded with tank and air strikes on more than 50 targets in the enclave.

"Hamas has felt a sense of failure at reaching the fence and therefore over the past two weeks there has been a change in the number of terror groups reaching the fence under Hamas's direction", the official said.

For instance, Nugent significantly downplays the frequency and severity of Hamas rocket attacks, stating: "Sporadic rocket fire and attacks from Hamas and other militant groups in Gaza have been met with several bombing campaigns and land assaults from Israel".

"Israel will make (Hamas) pay for all fire against Israel".

Despite the heavy barrage, no civilian casualties have been reported on the Israeli side as its Iron Dome missile defense system shot down numerous projectiles.

Separately in the morning, Palestinians launched boats from Gaza to protest Israel's blockade in what they said would be a peaceful demonstration. One mortar shell landed near a kindergarten shortly before it opened.

There were no reports of further attacks after Hamas announced early on Wednesday that it would cease fire if Israel did the same.

The sudden burst of violence, which stretched past midnight with no signs of slowing, follows weeks of mass Palestinian protests along the Gaza border with Israel.

"Everything we have seen in the past 24 hours is the direct doing of Iran", Bennett said.

Israel's military said it responded by hitting more than 35 "military targets", including a tunnel that stretched into its territory, weapons storage facilities and militant bases. Peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians have been moribund since April 2014 and Israeli settlements in occupied territories have expanded. Israeli forces have killed more than 100 people in those protests, including 60 in one day on May 14.

Israel has been condemned globally for its disproportionate use of force against the Palestinian protesters.

Related news