[Breaking] Trump says Kim summit could still go ahead June 12

[Breaking] Trump says Kim summit could still go ahead June 12

[Breaking] Trump says Kim summit could still go ahead June 12

We're talking to them now.

On Thursday, he blamed the North's "open hostility" for the cancellation of his talks with Kim Jong-un.

While the White House has clearly stated that North Korea must take significant steps toward complete denuclearization in a limited time frame before any sanctions can be relaxed or significant rewards given, Pyongyang has called for a "synchronous" process of disarmament in which gradual steps towards denuclearization are met with concurrent US economic and security concessions.

Trump tweeted Friday morning, a day after he withdrew from the June 12 summit.

Also, for talks to commence, North Korea must detail a preliminary roadmap as to what it would offer in terms of denuclearization. But they would have focused on ways of denuclearising the Korean peninsula and reducing tensions.

The two leaders "exchanged their opinions" on among other things successfully carrying out a future US-North Korea summit, according to the statement.

What were Mr Trump's latest comments?

Trump on Friday night said the historic June summit with Kim could go ahead following talks between the two countries. We're talking to them [North Korea] now.

Mr Trump added: "Everybody plays games".

Earlier on Twitter, Trump had noted "very good news to receive the warm and productive statement from North Korea".

Defense Secretary James Mattis later confirmed that things were likely back on to reporters.

What about Mr Trump's cancellation letter?

Regardless of the motivation, Kim's statement was the latest whiplash development in efforts to diplomatically address what might be the world's most unsafe standoff.

In his letter to Kim, Trump objected specifically to a statement from senior North Korean diplomat Choe Son-hui. In his letter, Trump responded in kind, referencing US nuclear capabilities "so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used".

But history tells this likely isn't the diplomatic equivalent of a David Tyree moment, the moment when the New York Giants receiver hauled down Eli Manning's pass to win Super Bowl XLII.

Trump scrapped the meeting in a letter to Kim on Thursday after repeated threats by North Korea to pull out over what it saw as confrontational remarks by US officials demanding unilateral disarmament.

Doubt was cast over the scheduled summit when North became angered by comments from senior USA officials, who made comparisons with Libya.

"This is pretty haphazard process that we've seen", Senator Tom Udall, member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told CNN.

Ms Choe, who has been involved in several diplomatic interactions with the USA over the past decade, said the North would not "beg" for dialogue and warned of a "nuclear showdown" if diplomacy failed.

But the whiplash from the White House was unusual even for the chaos-loving president. They stressed, however, there was a "backdoor that's open still". Sovereign nations and allies have the right to train their forces, just as North Korea did all winter long. Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi was deposed and killed by NATO-backed militants after halting his nascent nuclear program.

Before Trump scrapped the meeting on Thursday, North Korea said it had completely dismantled its Punggye-ri nuclear test facility "to ensure the transparency of discontinuance" of nuclear testing. "So I'm confident that peace and security on the Korean peninsula can be maintained".

After some fiery North Korean rhetoric, Mr Trump announced the summit would not be held. The president did not call South Korean President Moon Jae-in or Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to inform them of it, White House officials confirmed.

Comparisons and references from Washington to the "Libya model, " under which Libya gave up its nuclear program but which resulted in the public lynching of its leader Moammar Gaddafi, enraged North Korea, while let loose a volley of invective on USA officials, including National Security Advisor John Bolton and vice-president Mike Pence, who spoke of the Libya model.

Related news